Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Rest in Peace, Duchess
Last weekend I lost my dear kitty cat, Duchess, to intestinal lymphoma. She was actually my mom's cat who I inherited when my mom died of cancer, but I've had her for 9 years. Duchess was the sweetest little kitty. She loved to snuggle up on my shoulder and burrow into my hair. We found out she had cancer about a year ago and the vet said she had maybe 6-8 weeks left. She survived for almost a year, but the last few months were hard. I kept going back and forth on a decision to euthanize her, but I just couldn't do it. She would look pitiful and then start eating again and she was always very social until last week. The vet said she wasn't in pain and as long as she was seeking me out and eating, etc., that she was probably okay. On Friday, Feb 5th, Duchess quit eating. I just knew it was time and I was going to take her to the vet, but Zachary had had a fever for 1 1/2 days and it kept going up. That night after we got Zachary medicated and down to bed, Duchess just looked awful. I got ready and was putting her in the carrier to take her to the after-hours clinic and she died right before we got her in the car. My poor, sweet kitty. I loved her and I miss her but I am glad she is not in any pain or discomfort anymore. She is buried in our backyard next to my poor, sweet Princess kitty who I lost about 15 months ago to kidney failure. It is time for a break from pets in the Bortz household. I cannot bear to lose another one too soon. Pets really become part of your family (not like a human child, just in a different way) and there is a hole there for a while after they are gone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment